About David Leung – Qualification
Academic Qualification (Acquired):
- Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music (Music Theory) in 1988.
- Graduate of the United Academy of Music (Theory & Composition) in 1990.
- Licentiate of Trinity College of London (Compositional Techniques) in 2003.
- Bachelor of Music (First Honor) of HKAPA (Composition and Electronic Music) in 2003.
- Master of Philosophy of CUHK (Music Theory) in 2005.
- Master of Philosophy of HKU (Musicology) in 2007.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Musicology, candidate level)
- PhD (Musicology) at HKU.Thesis Title: Programming a Chinese Face: A Historical Survey of Hong Kong Contemporary Music
- Hang Seng Bank Hong Kong Scholarship 2001/2002.
- The Hong Kong Bank Foundation Hong Kong – Mainland Exchange Scholarship 2001/2002.
- Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies Dept. of HKAPA – Foreign Exchange Student Scholarship 2002.
- Hong Kong Peninsula Hotel – Peninsula Suite Scholarship 2002.
- New Generation Concert 2001 – Best Composition Commission Award.
- Teacher assistant of HKU (2007 onward)
- Teacher assistant of CUHK (2003-05)
- Teacher assistant of HKAPA (P/T 02-03, 06-07)
- Music theory tutor (Grade 5, 8 & AMusTCL and LMusTCL courses) of United Academy of Music (P/T, 1988-2000)
- Music theory tutor (Grade 5, 8 & AMusTCL and LMusTCL courses) of Spare Time Study Center (P/T, 89 onward)
Published Thesis And Articles:
- MPhil Thesis (HKU 2007):Memory, Aesthetics and Musical Quotation:Four Case Studies in 20th Century Music
- MPhil Thesis (CUHK 2005):Reframing the “Sea”:
A Critical Study on Toru Takemitsu’s Toward the Sea
- Journal of Literature and Art Studies (July 2017):
A Glimpse of Hong Kong “Chineseness”: Pre-existing Tunes as the Redemption of a Cultural Identity
- Journal of Literature and Art Studies (Jun 2018):
Memory and Aesthetics: Study of Musical Quotations in Ives’s and Crumb’s Music
- THE UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA and EUROPEAN FOUNDATION FOR CHINESE MUSIC RESEARCH (CHIME) — The 19th Chime International Meeting: The New Face of Chinese Music (2015, Geneva)
Paper title: Whose Face? China Hongkongese or Hong Kong Chinese: Reshaping the “Chineseness by Hearing the Quoted Tunes in Two Contemporary Hong Kong Compositions
- EUROPEAN FOUNDATION FOR CHINESE MUSIC RESEARCH (CHIME) —
Chinese and East Asian Music: The Future of the Past (International Meeting 2009, Brussels)
Paper title: The Aesthetic Concept of Wang Guowei and Hong Kong Contemporary Music
- BUHK — International Conference in Music Sino-Western Musical
Relations/Intersections/Receptions/Representations: East Meets West (2009)
Paper title: Wenren Aesthetics and Hong Kong Contemporary Music
- 2007 ISCM-ACL World Music Days Hong Kong — International Symposium on Composition in the Twenty-first Century: New Music and the Musical Canon
Paper title: Musical Quotation and the Struggle for Canonicity
- CUHK — Postgraduate Music Symposium 2006
Paper title: Unofficial Histories: Musical Borrowing and Collective Memory in Hong Kong
- HKU — Postgraduate Music Symposium 2005
Paper title: Reframing the “Sea”: A Critical Study on Toru Takemitsu’s Toward the Sea
- The Composers and Authors Society of Hong Kong (CASH)
- Hong Kong Composers’ Guild
For details about David Leung’s biography and courses, please visit: